Places Associated with Basho Matsuo
In the Edo era, we worked on expert in the art of playful verse, Matsuo Basho leaving many apt remarks and accounts of a trip based in hermitage of Fukagawa, and magnificent trip of "Oku no Hosomichi" began from this ground. Therefore a lot of historic spots concerning Basho are left in Fukagawa neighborhood. You take a walk through the ground related to Basho, and would you like to think of great man of going charges?
List of sightseeing theme spots
There is good Oimatu of form that put branch on mansion of the Kukis of Onagigawa River northern coast in the Edo era and it becomes famous and is described in Hiroshige because Yoshimune Tokugawa admired, and stop by ship, and "we do the upper part of a river and this river, and Basho leaves phrase of friend in haze month" for this place, too. This pine withered and died at the end of the Meiji era, but revived in the current ground in (1988) September in 1988.
Within the temple grounds are the remains of the Basho Ouku burial mound, which was also known variously as the Hokku, Shigure, and Tanjaku burial mound. The Kuzuka was lost due to war damage, and all that now remains is a stone pedestal.
There is Bashoan Memorial Garden which is annex of Basho Museum along the promenade of the Sumida River. Fine-view garden is next to the Sumida River and Onagigawa River and can enjoy scenery of seasonal waterside. In the garden are a statue of Basho as an old man that begins to rotate at 5 p.m. each day, along with a bas relief of Basho’s hermitage, which enable visitors to recollect ancient times. Also, the garden is lit up until 10 p.m., and visible from the promenade along the Sumidagawa River. ※Because the garden is only open between 9:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., it is not possible to see the statue rotating at close quarters.
Basho-Inari Shrine was enshrined in (1917) by hand of local people in 1917, and, in the precincts, there is stone tablet of monument and Basho of Basho hermitage trace. It is thought that Basho once lived in a hermitage near here, making this a historic spot in Tokyo. The land on which the hermitage stood was owned by Sugiyama Sanpuu, one of Basho’s followers, and Basho embarked on travels around Japan from when he moved there in 1680 (the 8th year of the Enpo era) until his death at the age of 51 in October 1694 (the 7th year of the Genroku era).
This memorial museum is on the banks of the Sumida River, overlooked by the Shin-ohashi and Kiyosubashi Bridges, and on the site on which the famous haiku poet Matsuo Basho built a hermitage for himself. While based in the hermitage, Basho wrote many famous poems and travel journals, including his chronicle ‘Oku no Hosomichi’ (‘The Narrow Road to the Deep North’). Also, in May 2002 (the 14th year of the Heisei era), the Basho Museum was certified as a location on the ‘21 Seiki Basho no Michi’ (‘21st Century Basho Road’) by the Japan Travel Pen Club, and is unique in being the only such location within the Tokyo Metropolitan Area. Monument of "old Shin-ohashi Bridge trace" is built on the sidewalk close to memorial hall. Shin-ohashi Bridge was first constructed in 1693 (the 6th year of the Genroku era). Right at the same time, while Basho was living in his Fukagawa Hermitage and the Shin-ohashi Bridge was under construction, he composed the haiku, ‘Hatsu yuki ya/kake kakari taru/hashi no ue’ (‘First snow/falling/on the half-finished bridge’). Upon witnessing the bridge’s completion, he composed the haiku ‘Arigataya/itadaite fumu/hashi no shimo’ (‘So thankful/in gratitude they tread across/the frosty bridge’).
In 1653, a Reizan Buddhist priest of Kashima Komponji (Ibaraki) made a thatched hut near Onagi River and it later became Zuiozan Rinsenji Temple. This temple is famous for its connection to Basho, as he moved to this area, had a close association with the Butcho Zenji (Zen master), and often practiced Zen. In the temple, there is a wooden statue of Basho. Also on the precincts are the Suminaoshi-no-hi and Monument of Yuishozuka, both associated with Basho.
The god of an abundant harvest is deified in this shrine, which is also known simply as Ojima Shrine. There is a stone monument called Onagizuka-hi in the grounds of the shrine that is registered as a cultural property of Koto City, and which has one of Matsuo Basho’s haiku inscribed upon it. Also in the grounds are a statue of Basho and a monument inscribed with a haiku by the poet Kobayashi Issa.
Sonome, born in Ise-yamada in 1664, was the wife of Doctor Kazuari Shiba (Watarai). She lived with her husband in Osaka, liked Haikai, and became a disciple of Basho. After her husband passed away, she moved to Edo in 1705 relying on Kikaku Takarai, and practiced as an ophthalmologist at an office in front of Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine. Sonome loved cherry blossoms, planted and dedicated 36 cherry trees (all of which burned down) to Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine around the Shotoku period. She passed away in 1726 and is buried at Omatsuin.
In 1689, Basho Matsuo left from here for his Okuno Hosomichi trip. Saitoan is a second home of Basho's student, Sanpuh Sugiyama. The precise location is unknown, but it is said to be near Umibe-bashi Bridge over Sendai-borigawa River. Because of this, a statue of a traveling Basho, sitting on a narrow wooden passageway stands by the abutment of Umibe Bridge.