Track the footsteps of a great man
Koto City produces painter, comic artist, many celebrities including haiku poet including politics. Business that they worked on and work which we produced were very novel in those days. How about following their footprint which can say that we changed history?
List of sightseeing theme spots
Itou Shinsui was born in Nishi Morishita-cho in Fukagawa, and as an exemplar of the expression of feminine beauty in Japanese Ukiyo-e artworks, established his own worldview of beauty. Sekine Shoji was born at around the same time in Shirakawa, Fukushima Prefecture. Through meeting Shinsui he began painting works that overflow with individuality, and was representative of western-style painters in the Taisho era. The exhibit describes the lives and works of these two artists, whose art and lifestyles were so contrasting.
Tagawa Suiho (whose real name was Takamizawa Nakatarou) was the creator of ‘Norakuro’, and a manga artist with a strong connection to Koto City, where he lived from early childhood through to adolescence. In 1998 (the 10th year of the Heisei era), items from Tagawa’s estate, including artworks and the desk from his study, were donated to Koto City by his surviving family members. This provided the opportunity to establish the Tagawa Suiho Norakuro Museum, in order to introduce visitors to Tagawa’s achievements, which left a significant mark on the world of Japanese manga.
This memorial museum is on the banks of the Sumida River, overlooked by the Shin-ohashi and Kiyosubashi Bridges, and on the site on which the famous haiku poet Matsuo Basho built a hermitage for himself. While based in the hermitage, Basho wrote many famous poems and travel journals, including his chronicle ‘Oku no Hosomichi’ (‘The Narrow Road to the Deep North’). Also, in May 2002 (the 14th year of the Heisei era), the Basho Museum was certified as a location on the ‘21 Seiki Basho no Michi’ (‘21st Century Basho Road’) by the Japan Travel Pen Club, and is unique in being the only such location within the Tokyo Metropolitan Area. Monument of "old Shin-ohashi Bridge trace" is built on the sidewalk close to memorial hall. Shin-ohashi Bridge was first constructed in 1693 (the 6th year of the Genroku era). Right at the same time, while Basho was living in his Fukagawa Hermitage and the Shin-ohashi Bridge was under construction, he composed the haiku, ‘Hatsu yuki ya/kake kakari taru/hashi no ue’ (‘First snow/falling/on the half-finished bridge’). Upon witnessing the bridge’s completion, he composed the haiku ‘Arigataya/itadaite fumu/hashi no shimo’ (‘So thankful/in gratitude they tread across/the frosty bridge’).
The film director Yasujiro Ozu was born in 1903 in present-day Fukagawa 1-chome. He produced numbers of notable works, such as Tokyo Monogatari and Banshun, which depicted Japanese homes and families. The achievements of this great film creator are introduced through pictures, recordings, and associated Ozu products, who is called the "jewel of Japanese cinema" and known as a great filmmaker around the world.
Haiku poet Hakyo Ishida lived in Kitasuna of Koto City from (1946) for about 12 years in 1946 and composed many haikus on state of Koto City at the time as "burnt ground poetic composition". In addition, wave-go leads postwar haiku world and leaves big achievement in haiku literature of our country. The museum was established here, in a place that Hakiou himself called his ‘second home town’, in order to honor him, to introduce visitors to his achievements and his connection with Koto City, and to give them an idea of what he was like as a person.
Soichiro Asano studied coke and coal tar waste materials and developed a method to use these waste materials as fuel to create cement. By supplying coke to a cement factory, he made a great profit. Bronze statue of Soichiro Asano is standing now in the front of building.
Kinokuniya Bunzaemon (Kibun) was born in Kishu. At an early age, he went to Edo, owned a lumber business, had an association with the shogunate and became a wealthy merchant. In his later years, he lived near Tomioka Hachimangu Ichino Torii (1 Monzen-Nakacho) and is said to have passed away at the age of 66 in 1734 and to have been buried at Jotoin. There was grave in the left corner, and monument of the front was built in (1958) in 1958. Under influence caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake, we cannot enter cemetery bounds now.
Shibusawa Eiichi called father of Japanese capitalism holds this residence here from (1876) to 1888 in 1876. Later on, he moved his main house to Chuo-ku, and the Fukagawa residence was used as a second house. Eiichi had a close association with Koto-ku. He was a member and the chairperson of the Fukagawa ward assembly from 1889 to 1904. In addition, he established Shibusawa Warehouse Department (Currently Shibusawa Warehouse Co., LTD.)
This garden is reminiscent of Edo, made based on the historical fact that the popular late Edo ukiyoe artist, Toyokuni Utagawa III, lived by Gonohashi. There are a number of interesting things to see, such as an ukiyoe gallery that changes exhibitions each season, as well as Shunuri-no Taikobashi (a vermilion arched bridge) and Kawara-nu Koi-no Ike (the unchanging love pond). Approximately 600 carp (koi) swim in Kawaranu Koino Ike. In the Edo period, tiles (kawara) of Edojo castle were made around Kameido. This pond was named "Kawara-nu Koi-no Ike" by incorporating these homophones, "kawara" and "koi". It is recommended to visit it as a couple.