Koto-ku Architecture Tour
Tasteful building of history and building novel newly coexist in Koto City. We can feel challenge and innovativeness from new building to beauty in history that got over war and earthquake disaster from old building. You wait, and why don't you enjoy walk for sense surrounding gallery?
List of sightseeing theme spots
It is building which design of Takahiko Yanagisawa (TAK) is characterized by. At the large entrance, there are triangular pillars and a wall with multiple round holes through which the sunshine creates beautiful patterns. The surface of the water shaking for wind is reflected in ceiling in waterside, and the unique atmosphere gives shadow in work.
The former residence of the Oishi family is the oldest private house built in the Edo era that still exists in the city. The building overcame a succession of disasters, such as a major earthquake in 1855 (the 2nd year of the Ansei era), and is a valuable private house whose appearance remains the same today as when it was built. In order both to protect and to impart that cultural and historical value, the house was certified as a tangible cultural property (building) in 1994 (the 6th year of the Heisei era), and following a survey into the feasibility of its being dismantled, was moved to its present location and reconstructed in 1996.
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology was founded in October 2003, with the merger of Tokyo Mercantile Marine University and Tokyo Fisheries College. It is Japan's only comprehensive marine university to offer education and study in the oceanographic, maritime, and fishery fields. Building No. 1 (registration tangible cultural property) built in (1932) in 1932 features historical solid school building. Meiji maru is also a National Important Cultural Property.
Fukagawa libraly was established in the present Fukagawa Park as Tokyo municipal library on (1909) September 10 in 1909. Later on in 1928, it was moved to its current location. In 1950, its management was moved to Koto-ku. Since then, it has been functioning as public library. Current building is thing rebuilt in (1993) in 1993, but is historical library which reached the 100th anniversary in 2009.
As part of reconstruction contracts after the Great Kanto Earthquake, it is house with store which former Tokyo city built in (1928) in 1928. Reinforced concrete houses, presently used as residences with stores attached more than 80 years after their initial construction, line Kiyosumi-dori for approximately 250 m. There are popular cafés and galleries among them.
This is a renovated building of the Tokyo Fukagawa Shokudo, which had been built as Tokyo City-owned cafeteria in 1932. In 2008, it was designated as National Registered Tangible Cultural Property for being a building rebuilt after an earthquake that still exists as public cafeteria. Currently, it is the hub of the district's tourism and culture to conduct exhibition. It conducts projects relating to the contemporary history and food culture of Koto-ku. Café Nichiyo in the facility (irregular hours) provides meals and sweets.
It is tasteful building built early in the Showa era. Currently, there is a gallery is on the first floor, and it is used for exhibitions and filming TV dramas.
This building was built as a company building in the early Showa era for a general partnership (currently a joint-stock company) founded by Rizaemon Minomura, who saved the wealthy merchant Mitsui Family from the end of the Edo period to the Meiji era, and was later called "Mitsui no Obangashira." It is an impressive building with graceful terracotta decorations at the entrance. It is often used for filming dramas and movies.