Fukagawa Area — Kiyosumi-shirakawa Station
Area of Toei Oedo Line, Tokyo Metro Hanzomon Line "Kiyosumi-Shirakawa Station" neighborhood. We recommend you enjoy Fukagawa Edo Museum, a reproduction of Fukagawa's townscape in the Edo period, together with walking around to view scenes of Fukagawa-teramachi. We also recommend that you enjoy walking through an area of new and old cultures by touring structures built in the early Showa Era, such as Former Tokyo cityl House for store adjacent to Kiyosumi Gardens, designated as the first place of scenic beauty in Tokyo, and galleries along Fukagawa Shiryokan-dori toward the Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo.
List of sightseeing theme spots
Kiyosubashi Bridge was named because it connects Kiyosumi-cho in Fukagawa-ku and Nihonbashi Nakasu-cho. We finished large suspension bridge which was in Cologne City of Germany by reconstruction contracts after the Great Kanto Earthquake as model in (1928) in 1928, and silhouette which is elegant with feminine curve is impressive. It was designated as a National Important Cultural Property along with Eitai-bashi Bridge on June 18, 2007.
Soichiro Asano studied coke and coal tar waste materials and developed a method to use these waste materials as fuel to create cement. By supplying coke to a cement factory, he made a great profit. Bronze statue of Soichiro Asano is standing now in the front of building.
Gennai Hiraga, born in Sanuki-shidoura in 1728, was well-versed in academic studies with talent in literature. He invented a number of things. In 1776, he succeeded in restoring and repairing an erekiteru (hand-operated electric generator). He often conducted experiments at home in Fukagawa Kiyosumi-cho (Kiyosumi 1) and showed them to other people. There is monument which ticked away this origin on this ground.
Hoteison, believed to have divine grace for being broad-minded, is one of the Fukagawa Seven Deities of Good Luck and is enshrined here. Fukagawa Inari jinja Shrine is old Shinto shrine of foundation in Fukagawa Area by foundation of (1630) in 1630. The shrine is also called "Nishi-Daiinari," a name that originates from "Nishi-Daiku-machi," the name of the former town around this area. The name of this town is said to come from the fact that the Onagi River, which flows behind the shrine, had been busy with the coming and going of ships since the early Edo Era and shipwrights used to live in this area to repair and made ships. No one lives in this shrine, and it is managed and operated by the town assembly.
It is not known that famous garden of downtown area, metropolitan Kiyosumi Gardens are natural beauty spot No. 1 of the capital appointed in (1979) March in 1979 too much. Kiyosumi Garden surrounds a large pond and has beautiful landscape dotted with big and small islands. It is a garden with a nice view throughout the four seasons and is full of uniquely shaped rocks. The time and snow scene of the fresh green in particular are splendid.
Fukagawa libraly was established in the present Fukagawa Park as Tokyo municipal library on (1909) September 10 in 1909. Later on in 1928, it was moved to its current location. In 1950, its management was moved to Koto-ku. Since then, it has been functioning as public library. Current building is thing rebuilt in (1993) in 1993, but is historical library which reached the 100th anniversary in 2009.
As part of reconstruction contracts after the Great Kanto Earthquake, it is house with store which former Tokyo city built in (1928) in 1928. Reinforced concrete houses, presently used as residences with stores attached more than 80 years after their initial construction, line Kiyosumi-dori for approximately 250 m. There are popular cafés and galleries among them.
In 1653, a Reizan Buddhist priest of Kashima Komponji (Ibaraki) made a thatched hut near Onagi River and it later became Zuiozan Rinsenji Temple. This temple is famous for its connection to Basho, as he moved to this area, had a close association with the Butcho Zenji (Zen master), and often practiced Zen. In the temple, there is a wooden statue of Basho. Also on the precincts are the Suminaoshi-no-hi and Monument of Yuishozuka, both associated with Basho.
This Suminaoshi-no-hi was built in Rinsenji Temple where Basho Matsuo is said to have often visited to practice Zen. It is a calligraphic work that Basho's disciple Shiko Kagami wrote about his master Basho and was built in Sorin Temple in Kyoto. Then, it was copied by Genbubo Kamiya of Edo-koishikawa and built in this area. The current monument was reproduced after the war.
Sonome, born in Ise-yamada in 1664, was the wife of Doctor Kazuari Shiba (Watarai). She lived with her husband in Osaka, liked Haikai, and became a disciple of Basho. After her husband passed away, she moved to Edo in 1705 relying on Kikaku Takarai, and practiced as an ophthalmologist at an office in front of Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine. Sonome loved cherry blossoms, planted and dedicated 36 cherry trees (all of which burned down) to Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine around the Shotoku period. She passed away in 1726 and is buried at Omatsuin.
In colonnade space from the first floor under the ground to the second floor above the ground, we reproduce cityscape of the Edo era (we assume the Tenpo era year) and life of general public. This shows details of the two row houses, a fruit and vegetable store, a rice-polishing store, a fire watchtower, a canal on which a long, thin small boat floats, and all of the daily household amenities. Furthermore, we gather state of one-day living of Fukagawa for around 15 minutes and direct in sound and lighting.
12. Reiganji Temple
Reiganji Temple was built in Reiganji in 1624 by Yuyo-Reigan, whom Ieyasu, Hidetada, and Iemitsu Tokugawa trusted. After it was burned down in the Great Fire of Meireki, it was transferred to the current location when the chief priest Kazan and his disciples reclaimed some wetland by the beach. On the precincts, there is a nationally designated historic site, the Grave of Sadanobu Matsudaira, and an important cultural property of Tokyo Edo Rokujizo, Dozo Jizobosatsu-zazo (seated statue of bronze Jizo Bosatsu).
Midorinosuke Ohnomatsu was born into a farming family in Notonokuni Nanami-mura (Ishikawa). In 1815, at the age of 25, he became a disciple of Takekuma. Then, he was sent back to his hometown for a time and later became a disciple of Shikoroyama. After that, he was successful every year and became Yokozuna in 1827 at the age of 38. In the history of yokozunas, he was a late bloomer and a hardworking Sumo wrestler. He passed away at the age of 61 in December 1851 and was buried at Gyokusenin.
Fudodou's chief priest, Kimyo, at Oumi-Miidera Temple had a dream in which the Fudoson statue, the principal image of the temple, appeared and said, "take me to Edo as I want to help you." During the construction of Reiganji Temple he built a temple and enshrined it. The construction went well. Later it was enshrined in Fudoji Temple and named "Shusse Fudo" by Shonin. After the Great Kanto Earthquake, the temple was united with Chosenin and has been worshipped and known as "Shusse Fudo in Fukagawa."
Kinokuniya Bunzaemon (Kibun) was born in Kishu. At an early age, he went to Edo, owned a lumber business, had an association with the shogunate and became a wealthy merchant. In his later years, he lived near Tomioka Hachimangu Ichino Torii (1 Monzen-Nakacho) and is said to have passed away at the age of 66 in 1734 and to have been buried at Jotoin. There was grave in the left corner, and monument of the front was built in (1958) in 1958. Under influence caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake, we cannot enter cemetery bounds now.
16. Ryukoin Temple
Bishamonten, believed to have divine grace for courage, is one of the Fukagawa Seven Deities of Good Luck and is enshrined here. The temple was founded in then Bakuro-cho (Chuo-ku) but burned in several fires and was moved to its current location in 1682. It is said that later Bishamonten was safely placed at the north-east corner within the precincts to avoid the influence of demons. At New Year's, it bustles with many people visiting the Fukagawa Seven Deities of Good Luck.
Achanotsubone was the wife of Tadashige Kamio, a retainer of the Imagawa clan. In 1560, when Tadashige was killed while accompanying Yoshimoto Imagawa, she and her child were invited by Ieyasu Tokugawa and given the name Achanotsubone. Unkoin was founded in 1611 at Achanotsubone's request.
It is building which design of Takahiko Yanagisawa (TAK) is characterized by. At the large entrance, there are triangular pillars and a wall with multiple round holes through which the sunshine creates beautiful patterns. The surface of the water shaking for wind is reflected in ceiling in waterside, and the unique atmosphere gives shadow in work.
Jizobou Shogen that lived in Edo Fukagawa learned Rokujizo of Kyoto and erected Rokujizo of Edo in six places of courses to tie Edo to. Shogen became seriously ill at the age of 24. But it is said that his parents prayed to Jizobosatsu, and he recovered, so he decided to build Jizobosatsu. The Jizo of Reiganji Temple is the 5th Jizo.
Bakin Takizawa, famous for the novel, "Nanso Satomi Hakkenden," was born on June 9, 1767 within the residence of Nobunari Matsudaira, which stands before Fukagawa Joshinji Temple (near 1 Hirano). After growing up, he studied under Kyoden Santo and wrote over 1,400 books, including "Chinsetsu Myumiharizuki." In November 1848, he passed away at the age of 82 and was buried at Jinkoji Temple in Myogadani, Bunkyo-ku.
Honoring corner of former yokozuna, roc is established permanently. Photograph panel of the active play era or precious memento are displayed a lot. We can observe state of life of cityscape and general public of the Edo era when sumo has begun to be held. In addition, temporary exhibition about sumo may be held.
Kiyosubashi Bridge was named because it connects Kiyosumi-cho in Fukagawa-ku and Nihonbashi Nakasu-cho. We finished large suspension bridge which was in Cologne City of Germany by reconstruction contracts after the Great Kanto Earthquake as model in (1928) in 1928, and silhouette which is elegant with feminine curve is impressive. It was designated as a National Important Cultural Property along with Eitai-bashi Bridge on June 18, 2007. Pink light up is pretty and is impressive at night. Light of bridge and neon of the opposite bank are reflected in the surface of the water of the Sumida River and are crowded and bring on fantastic atmosphere.
23. Enjuin Temple
Daikokuten, believed to have divine grace for prosperity, is one of the Fukagawa Seven Deities of Good Luck and is enshrined here. Enjuin Temple was founded by the wife of Hatamoto Nagai Sanukinokami Naoin. It is unknown what year the temple was founded, but it was said that Daikokuten was enshrined here since the temple was founded and known as Daikoku-sama of Fukagawa since the Edo period. In addition, stone statue of god of wealth is enshrined in the precincts, too.
24. Joshinji Temple
Joshinji Temple of the Nichiren sect was founded in 1658 to mourn for Bosatsu of Misawanotsubone, the wet nurse of Shogun Ietsuna Tokugawa IV, as well as the wife of Enshu Kobori, who was famous for Sado (Japanese tea ceremony) and landscape gardening. It is a large, famous temple with the high status of Jumangoku. It is called the foremost Edojudaisoshi, where Gokaicho (Buddhist image exhibitions) from Mt. Minobu are often held.
Rinzou Mamiya learned surveying from Ino Tadataka. He explored the entire Karafuto (Sakhalin) from 1808 to 1809, and figured out that Karafuto was a separate island. These straits were named Mamiya Strait (the Tatary straits) later. In his later years, he lived in Fukagawa Hamaguri-cho, passed away in February 1844 at the age of 65 (some say the age of 70), and was buried at Honryuin.
It is general Inside Sports facility which Koto City runs. It is facility which was maintained on the basis of barrier-free so that anyone uses from child to senior. The facility also holds various health exercise and sports classes and is used by many people as a local spot for sports.
This building was built as a company building in the early Showa era for a general partnership (currently a joint-stock company) founded by Rizaemon Minomura, who saved the wealthy merchant Mitsui Family from the end of the Edo period to the Meiji era, and was later called "Mitsui no Obangashira." It is an impressive building with graceful terracotta decorations at the entrance. It is often used for filming dramas and movies.
28. Oguruma stable
In June 1877, Katsuyamazeki, a former Makuuchi (senior-level sumo wrestler) who had belonged to Tamagaki stable retired, succeeded to the name "Toshiyori Oguruma" and founded this sumo stable. From the Meiji era to the early Taisho era, it was a large sumo stable that produced Yokozuna Manemon Ohzutsu and Ozeki Kamenosuke Araiwa. In May 1940, the stable was temporarily closed. However, in March 1987, Kotokaze the former Ozeki (second-ranked sumo wrestler) who had belonged to Sadogatake stable broke away and re-started the stable after 47 years of inactivity. Currently Yoshikaze and Kakekaze are actively training as Sekitori. ※General visit is impossible ※It is information as of September, 2014.
Takadagawa VIII, a former Ozeki Maenoyama, retired in March 1974 and succeeded to the name "Toshiyori Takadagawa." In April 1974, he broke away from Takasago stable to which he had belonged, along with eight apprentices, and founded Takadagawa stable. Currently, it is led by Akinoshima (currently Takadagawa Oyakata), a former Sekiwake (third-ranked sumo wrestler). ※It is information as of September, 2014.
In September 2002, Toshiyori Shikoroyama XX (former Sekiwake Terao) who retired and became the Oyakata (stable master) of Izutsu stable, broke away from Izutsu stable along with two apprentices and founded Shikoroyama stable in January 2004. The current stable was built in December 2006. It is a large stable that receives considerable attention as being led by former Sekitori Terao, who was a popular sumo wrestler when he was active. Currently, Homasho and Seiro are actively training as Sekitori. ※It is information as of September, 2014.
31. Otake stable
In May 1971, Taiho, a former Yokozuna (first-ranked sumo wrestler) who had belonged to Nishonoseki stable retired and succeeded to the name "Ichidai Toshiyori Taiho." In December, he broke away from Nishinoseki stable along with a few apprentices and founded Taiho stable. Because Taiho was retiring in May 2005, on January 1, 2004, Ohtake XVI became the master and the name of the stable was changed from Taiho stable to Otake stable. In July 2010, Dairyu succeeded to the name of Ohtake and inherited the stable. Currently, Ohsunaarashi is playing actively training as Sekitori. ※It is information as of September, 2014.
Mall where is lined with about 100 stores according to about 800 meters that Fukagawa Edo Museum was faced with. Kiyosumi Garden is on the west side of the shopping district, and Tokyo-to Gendai Bijutsukan (Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo) is on the east side. The Kakashi Contest is held every September. Individual "scarecrows" line on street. There are unique stores lined up and you can find something new every time you visit.