Fukagawa area—Around Monzen-nakacho Station
Area Near Monzen-nakacho Station on the Toei Oedo Line/Tokyo Metro Tozai Line and Etchujima Station on the JR Keiyo Line. Many people gather at Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine. It is famous for the Fukagawa Hachiman Festival, which is one of the three major Edo festivals, and for the fairs at Fukagawa Fudodo Temple, which holds impressive rites where sticks are burned on the 1st, 15th, and 28th every month. Fukagawa Tokyo Modern Museum, a tourist guide facility that utilizes a National Registered Tangible Cultural Property, offers a free town guide tour every day except for the days it is closed. We recommend it so that you can visit surrounding tourist spots while listening to stories from the expert tour guides.
List of sightseeing theme spots
Tadataka Inou, who created the first Japanese map using scientific measurements, resided in this place from 1795 to 1814 and made this place the origin of his measurements. Before leaving on his journey to take measurements, he visited Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine. For this, Ino Tadataka statue was erected in the Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine precincts in (2001) in 2001.
This is a renovated building of the Tokyo Fukagawa Shokudo, which had been built as Tokyo City-owned cafeteria in 1932. In 2008, it was designated as National Registered Tangible Cultural Property for being a building rebuilt after an earthquake that still exists as public cafeteria. Currently, it is the hub of the district's tourism and culture to conduct exhibition. It conducts projects relating to the contemporary history and food culture of Koto-ku. Café Nichiyo in the facility (irregular hours) provides meals and sweets.
Located right outside of Monzen-nakacho Station, Ninjo Fukagawa Goriyakudori Street is the 150-meter temple approach road stretching from Eitai-dori to Fukagawa Fudodo Temple. About 40 shops line the street, offering Japanese sweets, Amazake, Kyoto pickles, Edo accessories, and jewelry. Enjoy the liveliness of the shopping arcade. On the 1st, 15th, and 28th of every month the road bustles with even larger crowds due to the fairs that are held.
Fukagawa Park is one of the five parks first established by Tokyo, along with Asakusa, Ueno, Shiba, and Asukayama Park. It opened in 1873. Originally, it was located within the same precincts as Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine and Betto Eitaiji Temple. Many people gathered there as a place of amusement and religious faith. Even now, many visitors to Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine and Fukagawa Fudodo Temple, as well as the local residents, come to this park for recreation and relaxation.
Fukagawa Fudodo Temple is Tokyo annex of Naritasan Shinshoji Temple in Narita-shi, Chiba. Since 1703, this temple originated from the dekaicho (moving the principal image of Buddha outside of temple for exhibition to worship) which was often practiced in Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine within the precincts of Eitaiji Temple. The completion of the current main temple (new main temple) was celebrated in September 2011. It has an impressive Fudou-myoou mantra (wall with mantra letters) surrounding the building. These powerful prayer rituals that use fire are held at appointed times every day and are a must-see.
This is the oldest iron bridge built by the Ministry of Engineering in 1868 at the requests of the Tokyo government. It is a national important cultural property. Originally, it was built in Chuo-ku but was moved to the east side of Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine after the Great Kanto Earthquake and renamed the Hachiman Bridge. It is a small bridge, 15.2 m long and 2 m wide. However, it has the distinctive presence of an early Meiji bridge with a chrysanthemum crest and is precious in terms of bridge history.
It is famous for the Fukagawa Hachiman Matsuri, one of the three major Edo festivals. At the main festival, held once every three years, Mikoshi Rengo Togyo is conducted in which approximately 50 portable shrines are carried through the town. This sight also called "Mizukake Matsuri," (which means "festival of throwing water") as water is splashed vigorously over the carriers of the shrines. The Tatsumi Geisha Tekomai (portable shrine leading dance) and refined head constructors cheering and carrying heavy wood structures conjures up the atmosphere of the Edo period. Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine is the origin of Sumo wrestling held as a charity for temples or shrines. It has been closely associated with Sumo. The Yokozuna Rikishi monument and Ozeki Rikishi monument stand on the precincts.
In 1642, Edo Sangjusangendo was built in Asakusa to resemble Sanju-sangendo in Kyoto (Renge-ohin) and transferred to Fukagawa in 1701. Sanjusangendo in Kyoto is famous for tohshiya, Japanese long-distance archery. In Edo Sanju-sangendo, tohshiya was also part of samurai warriors' archery practice in the Edo period. Edo Sanjusangendo was dismantled in 1872.
Yasujiro Ozu was born on Dec. 12, 1903 in present-day Fukagawa 1-chome. He was employed by Shochiku and debuted as a movie director with Zange-no Yaiba. His masterpiece is Tokyo Monogatari. He passed away on Dec. 12, 1963 just as he turned 60. He created many works based on Koto-ku, such as Tokyo-no Yado and Hitori Musuko.
In 1689, Basho Matsuo left from here for his Okuno Hosomichi trip. Saitoan is a second home of Basho's student, Sanpuh Sugiyama. The precise location is unknown, but it is said to be near Umibe-bashi Bridge over Sendai-borigawa River. Because of this, a statue of a traveling Basho, sitting on a narrow wooden passageway stands by the abutment of Umibe Bridge.
Houjouin was built in 1629 and has been commonly known as "Emma-san in Fukagawa" since the Edo period. The huge Emma (Yama) statue, recently rebuilt, is 3.5 m tall and 4.5 m wide. It has built-in high technology and speaks the teachings of Buddha with the voice of Emma along with light and sound. In addition, it has a gold Jizobosatsu in its left hand.
12. Shingyoji Temple
Fukurokuju, believed to have the divine grace for long life, is one of the Fukagawa Seven Deities of Good Luck and is enshrined in Rokkakudou on the precincts. Shingyoji Temple was built in 1616 in Hatschobori and transferred to this place in 1633. It was founded by Yogen-in, wife of Hiroyoshi Kikkawa, the feudal lord of Iwakuni-han (Yamaguchi), who made the famous Kintaikyo Bridge. On the precincts is the oldest five-story pagoda in Koto-ku. Also in its graveyard are the graves of 5th Nanboku Tsuruya and Heisuke Kudo, the author of Akaezofusetsukou.
It is said that a group of Ako-roshi who successfully attacked Kira's residence in Honjo Matsuzaka-cho, stopped by at Chikumaya Miso store and were offered amazake (a sweet drink made from fermented rice) and rest on their way back from Hitotsume-dori, as they crossed over Eitai-bashi Bridge and headed to Takanawa Sengakuji Temple. A monument retelling this history was built at the entrance of Chikuma building in 1963.
Benzaiten, believed to have the divine grace for arts, is one of the Fukagawa Seven Deities of Good Luck and is enshrined here. It is said that a wealthy lumber merchant, Naotsugu Fuyuki, respectfully placed the partial spirit of Konoe Chikubushima Benzaiten in his residence and later his grandson Yaheiji moved it to this location. Fuyuki Kosode, a work of art drawn for the wife of Yaheiji by Korin Ogata, who received the care at this large Fuyuki residence, has been preserved at the Tokyo National Museum.
Eitai-bashi Bridge is famous as the bridge Ako-roshi once crossed over and is now where portable shrines are carried over in line at the Fukagawa Hachiman Festival. The current bridge was built in 1926 as the first earthquake reconstruction project and is a simple, massive, arch-shaped bridge. On Jun. 18, 2007, it was designated as a National Important Cultural Property along with Kiyosubashi Bridge.
This is where the Shinshu Matsushirohan suburban residence was located and where Shozan Sakuma opened a western gunnery school. Shozan was a feudal retainer of Matsushiro and was famous as a strategist and thinker. From July to December 1850, he taught gunnery in this place and later opened a private school in Edo Kobikicho to teach strategy and gunnery. Shozan taught many competent disciples, such as Shoin Yoshida, Ryoma Sakamoto, and Kaishu Katsu.
Shibusawa Eiichi called father of Japanese capitalism holds this residence here from (1876) to 1888 in 1876. Later on, he moved his main house to Chuo-ku, and the Fukagawa residence was used as a second house. Eiichi had a close association with Koto-ku. He was a member and the chairperson of the Fukagawa ward assembly from 1889 to 1904. In addition, he established Shibusawa Warehouse Department (Currently Shibusawa Warehouse Co., LTD.)
It is general Inside Sports facility which Koto City runs. You can use the large gymnastics room, training room, climbing wall, and more as you like.
19. Meiji maru
Meiji maru is the oldest sailing boat existing in Japan. It is 73 m long, 9 m wide, and weighs 1,027 tons, showing off its beautiful posture with three masts. Starting in 1896, it was used as the training ship for Nautical College (currently Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology). In 1954, it was released from its duties as a training ship and is currently preserved on the university's campus. In May 1978, it was designated a National Important Cultural Property, the only ship to have that designation.
From this water bus stop, visitors can depart on river cruises to Asakusa and Tokyo Water Front. The views at night are very beautiful, and this location is often used for filming TV dramas and the like. Not only that, but during the day, time passes so calmly that it doesn’t feel as if you are in a big city at all. Visitors can take it easy, spending their time going for a walk, reading, and so on. This is a unique location in the city, where you can enjoy different atmospheres during the day and at night.
School buildings with a rich history are a feature of this campus, for example building no.1, which was constructed in 1932 (the 7th year of the Showa era) and is registered as a tangible cultural property. Filming often takes place at locations that use the campus itself, its school buildings, and their roofs as a backdrop. Until now, the campus has been used as a location for TV dramas such as ‘Kobuta. Wo Produce’, ‘Honey and Clover’, ‘Doctor X’, and ‘Tombi’.
Kanjin Sumo originated in the location on which Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine now stands, and was the first sumo to be officially recognized by the Edo shogunate. Among various sumo-related monuments within the grounds of the shrine is one dedicated to yokozuna, the grand champions of sumo wrestling. The Yokozuna sumo wrestler monument was erected in 1900 (the 33rd year of the Meiji era) to honor successive generations of yokozuna, and was the brainchild of 12th sumo grand champion Jinmaku Kyuugorou. Engraved on the monument are the yokozuna’s stage names, starting with Akashi Shikanosuke, the first ever sumo grand champion. When a new sumo grand champion is decided, an engraving ceremony is held here under the guidance of the Japan Sumo Association, with an entrance procession of wrestlers dedicated to the new champion.
Eitai-bashi Bridge is famous as the bridge Ako-roshi once crossed over and is now where portable shrines are carried over in line at the Fukagawa Hachiman Festival. The current bridge was built in 1926 as the first earthquake reconstruction project and is a simple, massive, arch-shaped bridge. On Jun. 18, 2007, it was designated as a National Important Cultural Property along with Kiyosubashi Bridge. The bridge is illuminated in a radiant blue color until 10 p.m.
24. Etchujima Park
This spot for nighttime views has also been chosen as a location for movies and TV dramas. We can watch Chuo-ohashi Bridge and Eitai-bashi Bridge, famous spot of Tokyo Tower and beautiful light-up of high-rise building. With plentiful bench seating, visitors can relax and enjoy themselves.
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology was founded in October 2003, with the merger of Tokyo Mercantile Marine University and Tokyo Fisheries College. It is Japan's only comprehensive marine university to offer education and study in the oceanographic, maritime, and fishery fields. Building No. 1 (registration tangible cultural property) built in (1932) in 1932 features historical solid school building. Meiji maru is also a National Important Cultural Property.
4th Nanboku Tsuruya was a distinctive Kabuki author of the Edo Period. He was born in 1755 in Nihombashi and once lived in Kameido. In his later years, he lived on the precincts of Kurofune Inari Shrine and created notable works such as Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan. In Nov 1829, he passed away at the age of 75 and was buried in Shunkeiji Temple (2 Narihira, Sumida-ku).
The film director Yasujiro Ozu was born in 1903 in present-day Fukagawa 1-chome. He produced numbers of notable works, such as Tokyo Monogatari and Banshun, which depicted Japanese homes and families. The achievements of this great film creator are introduced through pictures, recordings, and associated Ozu products, who is called the "jewel of Japanese cinema" and known as a great filmmaker around the world.
28. Etchujima Park
The park is maintained well, and there are a lot of benches in each place. It is perfect spot to look at night view for walk. You can mainly see the night view of Eitai-bashi Bridge, Chuo-ohashi Bridge, and Ohkawabata River City 21, as well as Yakata boats coming and going. We can enjoy leisurely time while watching wonderful scenery.
This long and narrow park extends from east to west, and was developed with the theme of "waterside aromas." In the watercourse where seawater flows, sometimes you can see clams. There is a 10-cm deep "jabu-jabu" pond for children to play in the water. You can also enjoy seasonal flowers, such as the peony garden, which originated from Botan (peony)-cho nearby, the Western rose garden to the east, and hydrangeas blooming in the rainy seasons.
Tadakatsu Mukai was master hand of ship and served Hidetada Tokugawa at the age of 16. Along with Moritaka Kuki and others, Tadakatsu Mukai played a significant role as a naval commander. Also in 1632, by the order of Third Shogun Iemitsu Tokugawa, he commanded the manufacturing of the Atakemaru, the largest boat reserved for nobles in the history of Edo Shogunate. (Iemitsu named it "Tenkamaru.")
It is tasteful building built early in the Showa era. Currently, there is a gallery is on the first floor, and it is used for exhibitions and filming TV dramas.
This has been the busy district since the Edo period and its prosperity has continued to the present. This area is busy with people on the 1st, 15th, and 28th of every month at the Fukagawa fairs. Approximately 130 shops line Eitai-dori, the center of the area, and you can buy everything from food to daily necessities.
There is a shopping district along Ohyokogawa River running parallel to Fukagawa Fudodo Temple, Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine, and Eitai-dori. Open around Sumiyoshi Shinto shrine, and there is shop of little-known spot to the people in the know, too. In Furuishibagawa Water Park nearby, you can enjoy a walk and visit the shopping district where flowers bloom throughout all four seasons. Many people especially enjoy the peonies that bloom in spring, along with cherry blossoms that bloom on both sides of the Toyokawa River.
A numbers of resources and actual products are displayed to show the history of development, such as concrete structures and steel-frame buildings to support present-day society's residents and work environment. It is designed so that people uninterested in construction techniques can still fully enjoy it. There are many films, pictures, and actual products of the Meiji, Taisho, and Showa Eras for viewing. It is an exhibition room where you can truly look, touch, and feel. It is free to view, but a reservation is necessary. Guides are available upon request.