Joto Area — Around Kameido Station
JR Sobu Line, Tobu Kameido Line "Kameido Station", it is area of Tobu Kameido Line "Kameido-Suijin Station" neighborhood. Kameidoten Shrine, as well as a number of temples and shrines for Kameido Seven Deities of Good Luck, is located in this area. It is recommended to walk around, enjoying seasonal flowers such as wisteria and plums blooming everywhere. You can also enjoy walking to Tokyo Skytree. Kameido Umeyashiki has specialties of the Kameido area. It is a highly recommended spot to stop by while on a walk.
List of sightseeing theme spots
Kameido Zeniza was an organization that created and issued Kanei Tsuhou, coins of the Edo period. It was located near Kameido 2-chome housing complex in the present-day Urban Renaissance Agency. The backs of many Kanei Tsuhou have no mark. However, the Kanei Tsuhou made here from 1668 to 1683 have the letter "Mon" on the back and are called "Haibunsen."
Kameidoten Shrine, where Michizane Sugawara is enshrined, is well-known as the downtown Tenjin-sama and is popular among many people. In addition, beauty of plum and wisteria is described in "famous place Edo 100 view" of Hiroshige, and it is famous for flower of wisteria even now, and it is in one of "new Tokyo 100 view".
Hoteison, believed to have divine grace for being broad-minded, is one of the Kameido Seven Deities of Good Luck and enshrined in a building on the precincts. Ryugenji Temple was founded in 1395 by Ryohaku Daikasho. Because a hundred kinds of hagi (Japanese bush clover), which the Buddhist chief priest gathered from different areas in the early Edo Period were planted there, it became known as "Hagidera" (Hagi Temple), described in Edo Meisho Zue (Edo noted place illustrated reference book), and became a place of interest in Edo. On the precincts, there is a haiku monument of Basho Matsuo and a poem monument of Naobumi Ochiai. It was illustrated in picture reference books and became a place of interest in Edo. On the precincts, there is a haiku monument of Basho Matsuo and a poem monument of Naobumi Ochiai.
Fukurokuju, believed to have divine grace for long life, is one of the Kameido Seven Deities of Good Luck and is enshrined in a shrine on the precincts. It is unknown what year Tensojinja Shrine was founded. However, it is said that it was built during the period of Empress Suiko and enshrines a sacred object made by Shotoku-taishi. Also, it has been said that bad diseases were cured as soon as Nobunaga Oda ordered a Yabusame event (horseback archery) to be held here when bad diseases were widespread during Tensho Era (1573–1592). Based on this, the rite of Yabusame (children's archery) is held on September 16 every year.
It is a building where Bishamonten, one of the Kameido Seven Deities of Good Luck, believed to have divine grace for courage, is enshrined.
Umeyashiki (Plum residence) is the second house of Hikoemon Iseya. It is so called because many plum trees were planted there. Mitsukuni Tokugawa named one of the plum trees "Garyubai" because it bloomed as if a ryu (dragon) was crawling on the ground. It was famous as pleasure resort, but it withered and died all by flood of (1910) in 1910 and, in the Edo era, became superannuated plantation.
This shrine has the oldest history in the district. It is said that Nakatomino Kamatari transferred it to its current location when he went to the Eastern region of Japan in 665, the fourth year of Emperor Tenji's era. It is also said that during the rebellion of Tairano Masakado, Tawaranotouta Hidesato prayed to this shrine and dedicated an arrow after his prayer was answered. As the rite originated from this, Kachiyasai (Winning Arrow Festival) is held on May 5 every year. The shrine is popular among many people for enshrining the deity of long life for warriors in old times and currently as a deity of sports success.
Kameido Katori Kachiun Shopping Street with history that is the oldest in Koto City. Since the Meiji era, this area has been developed on the approach road which originally was within the precincts of Katori Shrine. It is approximately 1.6 km away from Skytree, a good distance for a walk. In spring 2011, it was renovated and reopened and has been bustling with people throughout the area as a tourist retro shopping district with a Showa 30s theme.
Kameido Umeyashiki opened in March 2013 as a new spot for interaction between Kameido residents and tourists. This was built, with Umeyashiki, the leisure home in Kameido during Edo Period, as the model. It has been a place for rest and interaction among local residents and tourists, as the local spot in Kameido to shop, eat, play, and rest.
10. Tokakuji Temple
This is a temple of the Shingon sect, said to be founded in 1531 by Genkaku-hoin. At that time, Fudomyohoh was enshrined here as the principal image. It was known as "Kameido Fudo" in the Edo period. In 1901, it was united with Kakuoji Temple in Fukagawa Honmura-cho (present-day Sarue 2) and has remained to the present with Dainichi-nyorai as its principal image. It is the 73rd Fudasho (pilgrimage site) in the Gofunai 88 Sacred Places, a pilgrimage that visits 88 temples in Tokyo associated with Kobodaishi.
11. Jokoji Temple
Amidanyorai, the principal image of the temple of Soto sect is said to have been made by Gyoki. It is 6th sacred place of the Edo Roku Amida Mairi. The Edo Roku Amida Mairi was a leisure activity for people in the Edo period, where participants visited six Amida statues made by Gyoki during Higan (equinox week) in Spring and Fall. The other five places are Saifukuji Temple, Muryoji Temple, Yorakuji Temple (all in Kita-ku), Emyoji Temple (Adachi-ku), and Jorakuji Temple (Chofu-shi).
It is general Inside Sports facility which Koto City runs. This is a sports facility that can be utilized anytime easily by people of all ages. You can use it for individual use such as table tennis and badminton, group use such as clubs, and different kinds of classes and events. Pool and training room are available every day.
This garden is reminiscent of Edo, made based on the historical fact that the popular late Edo ukiyoe artist, Toyokuni Utagawa III, lived by Gonohashi. There are a number of interesting things to see, such as an ukiyoe gallery that changes exhibitions each season, as well as Shunuri-no Taikobashi (a vermilion arched bridge) and Kawara-nu Koi-no Ike (the unchanging love pond). Approximately 600 carp (koi) swim in Kawaranu Koino Ike. In the Edo period, tiles (kawara) of Edojo castle were made around Kameido. This pond was named "Kawara-nu Koi-no Ike" by incorporating these homophones, "kawara" and "koi". It is recommended to visit it as a couple.
This popular shopping district along Kuramaebashi-dori faces the approach road of Kameidoten Shrine. Especially at Fuji Festival held in May, it is full of people during the rites of Kameido Tenjinsha Shrine. There are many traditional Japanese sweets stores that sell senbei, manju, and kuzumochi, as well as places to eat and stores that sell products related to Tenjin-sama. You can enjoy this area while taking the time to walk around before or after visiting the shrine.
This shopping district spreads along Meiji-dori, on the north side of Kameido Train Station. On Sundays, the street becomes a pedestrian zone full of people. There are various kinds of stores, traditional and popular. It is a busy shopping district with an unceasing flow of people throughout the day.
This shopping district extends for 660 meters from east to west, from Meiji-dori to beyond the Tobu Line railroad crossing, on the north side of Kameido Train Station. By "carp streamer festival" held in May, carp streamer swims every year all over the mall. The shopping district, full of downtown warm-heartedness, is equipped with LED street lights.
Gonohashi Toyokunidori Shopping Street is located to the south side of Kameido Train Station and extends for 250 meters along the length of Meiji-dori. At the 3rd Toyokuni Gototeien, an authentic Japanese garden on the south side of the shopping district, various events are held every year. The names of the shopping district and garden originate from a popular ukiyoe artist living by Gonohashi (previously Itsutsume-no Watashi), Toyokuni Utagawa III.
Tatekawa River Bed Park is beneath Route 7 of the Shutoko Expressway, which runs from west to east through the Joto area. There is a canoe and kayak course in one corner of the park. Visitors can rent the necessary equipment, so there is no need to bring anything with you to enjoy kayaking. As instructor tells carefully, even inexperienced person is reliable. Anyone is available if older than primary schoolchild, and reservation is unnecessary. However, visitors should be aware that this facility is only open for business from spring through fall. During summer when the weather gets warmer and everyone longs to be near the water, how about dropping by to make the most of the facilities at the park, along with the adjoining aquatic playground?