Joto Area — Around Oshima Station
It is area of "Higashi-Ojima Station" neighborhood "Nishi-Ojima Station" Toei Shinjuku Line "Ojima Station". Promenade along Kyu-Nakagawa flowing through bottom of Higashi-Ojima Station that is station on rare river forgets that I am in Tokyo and is quiet and is recommended walk spot nationwide. In Former Nakagawa river station located in Kyu-Nakagawa and the junction department of Onagigawa River, daily life can approximately see figure that amphibious bus "sky duck" is launched like a brick in river. We can touch downtown area human empathy nationwide while doing shopping in Sunamachi Ginza Shopping Street with high popularity happily. Metropolitan bus is recommended to access.
List of sightseeing theme spots
The god of an abundant harvest is deified in this shrine, which is also known simply as Ojima Shrine. There is a stone monument called Onagizuka-hi in the grounds of the shrine that is registered as a cultural property of Koto City, and which has one of Matsuo Basho’s haiku inscribed upon it. Also in the grounds are a statue of Basho and a monument inscribed with a haiku by the poet Kobayashi Issa.
In the middle of the Edo era, villages along the Onagigawa River were flourishing thanks to water transport, and five shrines were constructed as local Shinto deities. However, on March 10th, 1945 (the 20th year of the Showa era) the district of Oshima was completely destroyed in the Great Tokyo Air Raid, along with the shrines themselves and their historical records. Some raised the Shinto shrine rebuilding with revival of cityscape, and it merged five companies with (1952) in 1952, and main shrine was erected in the existing enshrining place.
Hotoji Temple, which is a temple of the Chisan sect of Shingon Buddhism, was established by Hoin Ken’i in 1610 (the 15th year of the Keicho era) and is also known as Inariyama Kona-in. There are many items in Hotoji Temple registered as cultural assets by Koto City, including the famous Shioname Jizo statue (literally ‘salt licking jizo’), whose origin is in the Edo era practice of merchants making offerings of salt to wish for prosperity in business. Because it is said that receiving and then rubbing salt into a wart before a Buddhist altar will heal the wart, another name for the statue is Ibotori Jizo (literally ‘statue to take away warts’).
During the Edo era, the Onagigawa River was an important waterway for the transportation of commodities inland to the Kanto region and onwards to Tohoku. This is the former site of the Naka River boat guardhouse, which was was located at the point where the Onagigawa joined the former Naka River. At first the boat guardhouse was near the Sumida River at the north end of Mannenbashi Bridge (now in the vicinity of the Tokiwa 1-chome district of Koto City), although it is said to have been moved to the Naka River in 1661 (the first year of the Kanbun era).
In order to convey the history of Koto, this city of attractive waters, an archive has been established at a location near Nakagawa Bansho, which was a checkpoint located on the estuary of the Nakagawa River. Through dioramas and the like, this archive recreates Nakagawa Bansho, and exhibits material through which it is possible to better understand water-borne transportation in Edo and the Kanto area, as well as the history and culture of Koto City.
The River Station was opened in March 2013 (the 25th year of the Heisei era) as a lively new waterside location at the confluence of the Kyuunakagawa and Onagigawa Rivers. A slope has been put in place to enable what was the first amphibious bus in the Tokyo Metropolitan area to enter the water. As well as giving visitors the chance to witness at close quarters the impressive sight of the bus plunging into the water, this facility features a boarding area for rowing boats, and anyone can drop by to sample the lively atmosphere.
This shrine is famous for its cogon grass ring, which is said to be the largest in the Kanto area and makes its appearance in the grounds of the shrine at the end of June every year. It is also famous for the Kogaizuka, which relates to the legend of Empress Ototachibana, and Kameido no Fujizuka, a monument in the image of Mt. Fuji that was constructed on the burial mound said to contain Empress Ototachibana’s hairpin. On the Kogaizuka memorial stone is the story of how a hairpin washed ashore after Empress Ototachibana, wife of Yamato Takeru no Mikoto, 12th Emperor of Japan, threw herself into a stormy sea to calm the waves. The main building of the shrine was destroyed in a major earthquake in 1855 (the 2nd year of the Ansei era), but in 1878 (the 11th year of the Meiji era), volcanic rock was transported from Mt. Fuji to construct the Fuji burial mound, and the main building was re-built on top of this.
It is general Inside Sports facility which Koto City runs. With large and small gymnasiums, multiple martial arts dojos (for judo, kendo, and archery), a training room, sports sauna, pool, and conference rooms. There is also a parking lot capable of accommodating larger buses.
Sano Yukihide was allowed to enter the castle town of the Tosa clan in 1847 (the 4th year of the Koka era), and in around 1862 (the 2nd year of the Bunkyu era) moved to Edo on the orders of the feudal lord Yamauchi Youdou, where this became the site of his swordsmith business. It is revealed that we worked in here where suburban residence of a daimyo of Tosa feudal clan was at the time of from signature on a sword of work of this time. Sano’s style exhibited a revivalist mood that esteemed the quality of old swords made to be used in real life.
Manjiro Nakahama was known for the name of John Manjiro and played an active part as interpreter and teacher from the late Tokugawa period to the Meiji era. When he was fourteen, Nakahama drifted ashore on an uninhabited island, after the fishing boat on which he was sailing was shipwrecked. He was rescued by an American whaling ship and taken to the United States, where he was educated. Nakahama was assigned to the Tosa clan after returning to Japan, and for a second time in 1868 (the first year of the Meiji era). From the second to thirteenth years of the Meiji era, he lived on this site in the suburban residence of the daimyo of the Tosa clan. While here, he was employed among other things as a professor at Kaisei School (a predecessor of Tokyo University).
11. Great Tokyo Air Raids・War Damage Document Center (we defeat father brothers we learn and do not do)
Since 1970 (the 45th year of the Showa era), the Center has been utilized to house items and literature collected by the Tokyo Daikuushuu Kiroku no Kai (Association to Record the Great Tokyo Air Raid). This material relates to war damage, and specifically to the Great Tokyo Air Raid of 1945, conveying to successive generations the calamities of war suffered by citizens, so that the Center might be of use as a location for peace studies and research. The Center was opened by the Institute of Politics and Economy on September 9th, 2002 (the 14th year of the Heisei era), thanks to the cooperation of many different people.
Ishida Hakyou was born in Ehime Prefecture in 1913 (the 2nd year of the Taisho era), and moved to this location in 1946 (the 21st year of the Showa era), where he took up residence until the 33rd year of the Showa era. Ishida subsequently wrote many famous works, and his haiku on the theme of Koto City suffering extensive damage during air raids were known as ‘scorched earth poems’. He passed away in the 44th year of the Showa era at the age of 56. Grave is in Jindaiji of Chofu-shi.
A famous shopping district that is renowned throughout the country. There are around 180 stores here, selling everything from fresh foods, side dishes such as oden, and everyday essentials, to textiles and fabrics. Just by walking and looking around, visitors can gain a genuine feel for the atmosphere of a typical Tokyo neighborhood. Prices are slashed on the 10th of every month for the ‘Bakane-ichi’ (literally ‘crazy price market’), which is not to be missed.
Thought to have been founded by ??? Hoin in 1626 (the 3rd year of the Kan’ei era), as described in historical records of both Sunamachi and the Chisan sect of Shingon Buddhism, Jihoin Temple is said to have been initially opened before the Genki and Tensho eras. Three Kobo Daishi signposts are preserved in the grounds of Jihouin Temple, through which it can be deduced that he attracted belief as ‘Kobo Daishi who protects against misfortune’.
Haiku poet Hakyo Ishida lived in Kitasuna of Koto City from (1946) for about 12 years in 1946 and composed many haikus on state of Koto City at the time as "burnt ground poetic composition". In addition, wave-go leads postwar haiku world and leaves big achievement in haiku literature of our country. The museum was established here, in a place that Hakiou himself called his ‘second home town’, in order to honor him, to introduce visitors to his achievements and his connection with Koto City, and to give them an idea of what he was like as a person.
Yotsuguruma Daihachi was a sumo wrestler born in Akita Prefecture. Although he only rose to the rank of a third-level wrestler in the highest division, he was also known as one of the wrestlers involved in the ‘Megumi no Kenka’ incident, a brawl between firefighters and sumo wrestlers that was often used as the subject of stage plays and dramatic storytelling. He passed away at the age of 38 in April 1809 (the 6th year of the Bunka era), and was buried in Insokuji Temple, which at the time was in Fukuzumi Town, Fukagawa. Afterwards, Insokuji Temple moved to the current ground in (1927) in 1927. Within the temple grounds are the historic remains of the grave of Matsumoto Kushiro, who originated the Sunamura method of forced vegetable cultivation.
This temple was established in April 1625 (the 2nd year of the Kan’ei era), with its foundations being laid by Ogi Kanshichirou of Heiwa-mura in Yamato (now Nara Prefecture). During the Genna era, Kanshichirou visited this location with his two younger brothers, developed the land and named it Ogi Shinden. Due to a great tsunami the goddess Kishimojin appeared from the sea, and the figure of her spirit is enshrined in the temple.
A lock gate is a device that enables water-borne vehicles to move between two rivers with differing water levels, and performs a similar function to an elevator. The water levels of the Arakawa and Kyuunakagawa Rivers differ by as much as three meters, but thanks to the completion of the Arakawa Lock Gate, it has been possible to maintain water traffic in both directions to the Koto Delta, which is sandwiched between the Arakawa and Sumidagawa Rivers. In turn, it has become possible to assist with recovery in times of disaster, for example through the transport of relief supplies and materials for reconstruction, and through rescuing disaster victims.
It is general Inside Sports facility which Koto City runs. Numerous projects are undertaken here, enabling citizens from the local community of various ages, from children to seniors, to have fun engaging in sports. In location that is full of green, there are large physical education room, training room, indoor pool, and it is used depending on purpose by many people.
Centered around the Kitasuna branch of the Ito-Yokado supermarket, this large-scale shopping complex comprises over 100 specialist stores and businesses for visitors of all ages to enjoy, including fashion, cosmetics, everyday items, amusements, facilities for children, and a sports club. With a full range of characterful, exclusive stores to support our everyday lives.
Mall that extends to the north from east side, Shin-ohashi-dori St. of Ojima Station. Around 100 stores are lined up beside the 300 meter-long main street, selling fruit, vegetables, fresh fish, side dishes, and more, and the bustling atmosphere really is that of a ‘downtown kitchen’. It becomes vehicle-free promenade and, from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., is full of shoppers. The Bikkuri Market is held on the 8th of every month.